In the early 1930's Brighton, England became the site of a series of grisly murders. The seaside resort, best known as a destination for illicit rendezvous' earned the dubious nickname of "Queen of Slaughtering Places."

On May 10, 1927, the attendants noticed a foul odor emanating from the left-baggage department at the Charing Cross Station. They discovered the smell coming from a large, black trunk. The staff became suspicious and notified police. When the trunk was opened, the police discovered five brown paper packages that were tied with string. The packages were opened to reveal the arms, legs and torso of a female.

Sir Bernard Spilsbury performed the post-mortem and determined that the female was in her 30's and she had died of suffocation. She was eventually identified as Minnie Alice Bonati and the trunk she was found in was traced back to a John Robinson.

When he was taken to Scotland Yard for questioning John Robinson confessed to the murder. During the trial his defence was that he had been attacked by Minnie Bonati when she demanded money from him and he refused. He stated that during the attack he pushed her as she tried to to strike him and she fell and hit her head on a coal-scuttle. According to him he panicked when he realized she was dead and he decided to get rid of the body by dismembering it, stuffing the body in a trunk and leaving it at the Charing Cross Station.

John Robinson was found guilty and sentenced to death. He was hanged at Pentonville Prison on August 12, 1927.

On June 17, 1934, an attendant at the Brighton Railway Station noticed a foul smell coming from an unclaimed trunk. He alerted police who opened the trunk and discovered a female torso. The next day her legs were discovered in a suitcase at the Kings Cross Railway Station. Sir Bernard Spilsbury performed the post-mortem and estimated the woman's age at 25. He also found that the woman was five months pregnant and the she had been struck in the head with a blunt object.
The only clue was a piece of paper with the word "Ford" written on it.

After a month-long investigation uncovered no further clues, police decided to conduct a search of the houses surrounding the Brighton Station. On July 15, 1934, the police entered a house located at 52 Kemp Street. They noted a foul odor in a bedroom. They located the source, a trunk that had been covered by a cloth. When the trunk was opened they discovered yet another decomposing body of a woman.

The woman was later identified as 42-year-old Violet Kaye Saunders. She was a known prostitute and had also worked as a dancer. She shared the home on Kemp Street with her lover Tony Mancini. Violet was last seen on May 10, 1934. Mancini told friends that he and Violet had argued and that she had left him and moved to Paris.

Mancini was arrested on July 17, 1934. In his statement to the police he claimed that he had returned to the home and found her dead. He assumed that she had been killed by one of her "clients" and he was afraid he would be blamed for her murder because he had a criminal record. He hid her body in a trunk and on hearing that the police were conducting house-to-house searches he went on the run.

Despite the overwhelming evidence presented by the prosecution, Mancini was found not guilty of murder. However in 1976, prior to his death he publicly confessed to the murder but could not be tried again.

The first murder that led to the discovery of Violet Kaye's body was never solved. The body was never identified. She was dubbed by the press the Girl with Pretty Feet. Her head and arms were never found. Her murder was thought to be unrelated to Kaye's death because no evidence was ever found linking Mancini to her murder.


Post a Comment