Martha Jule Seabrook lived in a fantasy world. She dreamed of the day when she would find her one true love. As a child she suffered from a glandular condition that caused her to develop quite rapidly. By the age of 10 she possessed the body of a woman with the sex drive to match. Unfortunately she was also obese and was forced to endure the cruel taunts and ridicule of not only her fellow classmates but also her mother. She would later claim that at the age of 13 she was sexually assaulted by her brother and when she told her mother she was blamed for the rape and beaten.
As a grown woman Martha fared no better. She graduated from nursing school in 1942 but because of her size the only job she could find was as a mortician's assistant.
Dreaming of a better life Martha moved to California and was finally able to put her nursing skills to use at an Army Hospital. At night she would frequent bars and pick up soldiers on leave. The only thing that she gained from her promiscuous behavior was an unwanted pregnancy and rejection from the father-to-be. Desperate and alone she returned to her hometown of Milton, Florida where she cooked up an elaborate lie to cover the fact that she was an unwed mother. She claimed to have married a naval officer who was stationed in the Pacific. She even managed to have a telegram sent to herself informing her that he had been killed in action.
A few months after the birth of her daughter Martha would find herself pregnant again by Alfred Beck. The two married but six months later he divorced her. Martha obtained a nursing position at a pediatric hospital in order to support herself and her two small children.
One of her co-workers decided to play a cruel joke on Martha and sent her an ad to join a lonely-hearts club. Deeply hurt but determined, Martha filled out the form and paced an in "Mother Dinene's Family Club for Lonely Hearts." She conveniently left out the fact that she was almost 250lbs and a single mother of two. In 1947 Martha received her one and only response to the ad. She was about to meet her "Prince Charming." The man who would change her life forever; Raymond Martinez Fernandez.

Raymond Fernandez was a handsome young man with a calm and gentle manner. He left the United States in 1932 to work on his uncle's farm in Spain. While there he met and married Encarnacion Robles. He enlisted in the service in World War II and worked for the British government as a spy and after the war ended he decided to return to America to look for work. After which he planned to send for his wife and their newborn son. He managed to book passage on a freighter bound for the Dutch West Indies. While on board the ship he received a fractured skull and a serious brain injury when he was hit on the head with a steel hatch cover. He was hospitalized for nearly a year during which time it was noted that his personality had undergone a drastic change. Gone was the calm and gentle manner. Instead he had become distant and prone to violent mood swings. He was also left with a large bald spot, an ugly scar and an indentation in his head when he had been hit with the hatch. He took to wearing a toupee. After he was released from the hospital he continued on his journey to America and eventually ended up living with his sister in New York.
Raymond would lock himself in his room for days on end complaining of debilitating headaches. It was at this time that Raymond began corresponding with gullible women who had joined lonely hearts clubs looking for romance. Once he had gained their trust he would seduce them and then steal their money, jewels, or anything else of value he could get his hands on.
One of his victims, Jane Lucilla Thompson, turned up dead from an apparent drug overdose in a hotel in Spain after she went on a cruise to Spain with Raymond, which she paid for. By the time authorities got around to questioning Raymond he had already skipped town and returned to New York. He gained possession of Jane Thompson's apartment using a forged will and forced her elderly mother to move out. He continued his correspondence with women until he found his next victim, Martha Beck.
Martha and Raymond met in Florida on December 28, 1947 and they spent two sex-packed days together. Once he ascertained that she had nothing of value worth stealing Raymond made a beeline back to New York. On January 18, 1948, Martha showed up unannounced on Raymond's doorstep with her two children. Raymond, happy to have someone who was willing to wait on him hand and foot, allowed her to stay but insisted that the children had to go. On January 25, 1948 Martha abandoned her children at the Salvation Army and never looked back.
Convinced that she was under his control, Raymond confessed to Martha about his lonely hearts scams. Instead of turning him in to the authorities Martha felt that it was her duty to help him. She helped him look through numerous photographs and letters from gullible women and over the next several months she helped Raymond "marry" and then rob several victims while posing as his sister-in-law.
On August 14, 1948 Raymond married his next victim, Myrtle Young of Greene Forest, Arkansas, in Cook County, Illinois. When Myrtle insisted that the marriage be consummated, Martha demanded that Raymond get rid of her. He slipped her a heavy dose of sedatives and carried her on a bus bound for Little Rock, Arkansas but not before they divested her of four thousand dollars. Unfortunately he miscalculated the dose and she died shortly after arriving in Little Rock.
Almost out of money they eventually zeroed in on another victim, Janet Fay, a 66-year-old widow who lived in Albany, New York. It took Raymond only five days to convince Janet to marry him, clean out her bank accounts totaling six thousand dollars and move with him to Long Island. Martha again became jealous and she and Janet got into a heated argument. Martha picked up a ball-peen hammer and slammed it into Janet's skull knocking her unconscious. She finished her off by strangling her with a scarf. Raymond and Martha cleaned up the scene and stuffed Janet's body into a trunk. They later found an unoccupied house and buried the trunk in the cellar. To cover up Janet's absence they sent typed letters to Janet's family. The only problem was not only did Janet not own a typewriter but she did not know how to type. Her family notified the police.
Escaping the threat of being caught, Raymond and Martha headed to Grand Rapids, Michigan to meet who would be their final victim. Raymond introduced himself to Delphine Downing, a young widow, as Charles Martin, a successful businessman. He introduced Martha as his sister. Delphine also had a two-year-old daughter named Rainelle. One morning Delphine entered her bathroom and caught Raymond without his toupee. When she saw the ugly scar on the top of his head she accused him of being a fraud. Trying to placate the situation Martha convinced Delphine to take some sleeping pills. Sensing something was not right Rainelle began crying inconsolably. Martha grabbed the young child and began choking her in order to silence the crying. When Raymond saw the bruises on the child's neck he knew that Delphine would most likely call the police when she woke up. While Rainelle watched, Raymond took a gun that belonged to Delphine's husband, wrapped it in a blanket and shot Delphine point blank in her head. She died instantly. Raymond and Martha wrapped her body in a sheet and then he carried her down into her basement and buried her.
Over the next two days they cashed several of Delphine's checks and gathered up what ever objects they could find of potential value. During this time Rainelle cried constantly. Raymond told Martha to get rid of her. They carried her down to the basement and filled a metal tub with dirty water. In a thoroughly callous act, Martha held the little girl under the water until she was dead. Raymond buried little Rainelle next to her mother.
Instead of fleeing town they decided to go to the movies. Shortly after they returned to the house there was a knock at the door. Suspicious neighbors had decided to call the police.
They were arrested on February 28, 1949. Because Michigan had no death penalty they figured that the maximum time they would receive for their crimes was six years. Raymond and Martha both confessed. But to their dismay they were extradited to New York. They went on trial in July and were convicted and sentenced to murder.
On March 8, 1951 they were both executed in Sing Sing's electric chair.


Post a Comment